If you’re thinking about getting a new website, you probably want to know how long it’s going to take. As a professional web design company, we’ve turned out rush projects in as little as 2 weeks, while larger projects have lasted 6 months or more.
What’s a realistic timeline for your website? To find out, keep watching!
Hi, I'm Tom Malesic, Founder and President of EZMarketing, and you're watching Ask EZ. This is where small business owners go to get real answers to their marketing questions.
How Long Does a New Website Take to Build?
Every website and web designer is different, but typically a new website takes us about 90 days from start to finish.
We have a simple website process we use to keep our projects on time and on budget. Here’s how that 90 days breaks down:
- Plan (1 week) – We kick off web projects with strategy session get to know you and plan your site. We aim to get all the details we need within a week.
- Design (2 weeks) – Next, we design the look and feel of your website and mockup a homepage design for your approval. This phase usually takes about 2 weeks
- Build (2 months) & Copywriting (2-3 weeks)– The build phase is where we spend the majority of the time. We simultaneously write your website copy and build the actual pages. For most small business sites, the build takes around 60 days
- Go Live (1 week) – We review the finished site with you, test it, make any final revisions, and go live. As long as revisions aren’t extensive, most sites launch within about a week.
What Makes a Web Design Take Longer?
In general, the factors that influence timeline are the same ones that impact how much a website costs.
- The scope of the project - The bigger the site and the more features you need, the longer it’s going to take to build.
- Who’s building it – Unless you have infinite time for the Do-it-Yourself route, hiring a web design company is usually faster
- Revisions – In other words, how much back-and-forth is there during the process? The fewer changes and revisions needed, the faster the website is going to launch
Tips to Keep Your Website Project Moving
Redesigning your website doesn’t have to be hard. Here are a few tips to help your website get done fast:
- Know What You Want – That doesn’t mean you need to figure out the exact design. But you should have clear goals for your new website and be able to tell your web designer what’s working and what’s not with your current site.
- Have Assets Ready – Gather logos, colors, pictures, or documents you want to use on your site right away, so we’re not waiting or tracking them down later
- Respond Promptly – Whether it’s approving design, checking copy, or reviewing built pages, your prompt feedback helps us keep your project moving.
- Trust Your Web Designer – Choose a web design company you can trust, and then rely on them to deliver a great website. If you feel like you need to micromanage to get your website done right, you probably need a new web designer.
Get a Website You'll Love
We can build you a website you’ll love and keep your project moving fast. In fact, we guarantee you’ll be happy with your site, or your money back.
We’d love to help you get started on your next web project. Click the link below to schedule a free consultation.