In the digital age, some feel that direct mail campaigns are a thing of the past. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Direct mail has the ability to put something tangible and meaningful into the hands of customers and prospects. It’s a great way to keep them on top of your company’s latest news and promotions, and gives you the opportunity to offer tips and advice as added value.
Last year, two-thirds of all consumers in the United States bought something as the result of a direct mail campaign. Even though people are likelier to use email out of convenience, clogged inboxes, email spam, texts messages, and constant social media contact make a piece of direct mail something unique.
Here are just a few benefits of a direct mail campaign.
- Direct mail is targeted, not haphazard. You could advertise on television, in a magazine, or on a billboard, but there’s no guarantee it’ll reach the most relevant audience. Direct mail allows you to focus on the people who want to hear from you. Furthermore, a highly targeted directed piece of direct mail also reaches the people most likely to make a purchase from you.
- You have a variety of media to choose from if you opt for a direct mail campaign. Postcards, newsletters, brochures, and catalogs are all ways that you can leverage direct mail to get the greatest return on investment from your marketing budget, and each medium offers its own strengths on your goals.
For example, the US Postal service found that the postcard - a medium which typically costs less than other types of direct mail - have the greatest tendency to be read or scanned. Something as simple as a postcard can convey a message quickly and effectively, especially with on-target messaging.
- It’s easy to analyze the results. All you need to do is track the number of responses, leads, answers to your fun quiz, coupon redemptions, and more. There’s nothing complicated about measuring the effectiveness of your campaign.Think about other types of marketing campaigns - for instance, social media marketing. While a campaign may be hugely effective, it's extremely difficult to keep track of your return on investment.
- The data backs it up. Because direct mail is a proven method for generating business, and because it’s actually become more effective in ways since the dawn of the digital age, the statistics demonstrate its power to compel your audience.While direct mail seems "expensive" compared against other media, it's important to remember that you're really looking for the lowest cost of a qualified lead. Studies have shown that direct mail is just as effective as a PPC or print marketing campaign in terms of cost per lead.
- It has a personal touch. With little effort, you can ensure that the recipient of your direct mail sees his or
- her name and knows “this is for me,” not for someone else. Personalization also makes your target likelier to respond to your message.
- Remember, too, that your direct mailer can add value to enhance your marketing strategy and increase follow-through. Make a special offer, include a coupon or a freebie. People love special offers, particularly when your targeted list is already likely to buy from you. Response rates can soar when people feel like they're getting a little something extra!For more on how a direct mail campaign can help boost your business, check out our direct mail marketing service!